[ChainPoint] Run Check...

ChainPoint Connections chainpoint at forestapps.com
Mon Aug 9 10:47:00 EDT 2010

Hi ChainPoint¹s

I trust you are having a great start to the new week? It has been really hot
around the home office the past couple weeks. I¹ve been getting caught up on
work on the bus and HMMWV to be ready to hit the road next week. We have a
very full schedule for the rest of the year. You can keep up with our
training and show schedule at
http://bay03.calendar.live.com/calendar/calendar.aspx

Laura says we still have a few dates to fill in, so if you are looking to do
some training call her to discuss open dates.

The article this week is Run Check...  I see so many saws, especially during
this hot summer season, that don¹t idle properly or are running too fast.
Follow the five step plan below and you should see some positive results.
Nothing more frustrating or costly than a misadjusted  chain saw or trimmer
(works on any two cycle).

Fall firewood season is fast approaching and also there is still the
possibility of storm cleanup. Give your friends and family a refresher on
chain saw safety. The eVideo Intro DVD is available free to the first 10 new
registrations to the website each month through Summer and Fall. Have them
check to receive the ChainPoint eNewsletter. You can also purchase it and
give it to them direct from our eStore.

The Forest Applications Training, Inc. eBook sales are going well. Thank you
all for your support in purchasing it and I hope it has become a valuable
tool in your library. You can download the eBook from Barnes and Noble (
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Complete-Guide-to-Chain-Saw-Safety-and-
Directional-Felling/Tim-Ard/e/9780615319230/?itm=1&USRI=Tim+ard ) If you
already have a copy and have a BN.com account, go to the link and write a
brief review to tell what you think of it.

You can also purchase the eBook from our eStore at www.forestapps.com  Right
now we do have some printed binder copies available if you prefer a hardcopy
of the book.

Good Sawing,
Tim Ard
Forest Applications Training, Inc.

O 770.222.2511

http://www.forestapps.com

Follow on Twitter    @ForestApps

Run Check

By Tim Ard, Forest Applications Training, Inc.

How should a saw perform once it is started? What do you look for to make
sure it is going to run and do the Job you need it to?

Five areas to check out to make sure the saw is performing as it is
designed:

1. Clean Air Filter - you must make sure the chainsaw nose (filter) is
breathing properly.    If the filter is restricted the airflow for proper
adjustment will be low and cause smoking, low power and poor running
results.

2. High Speed Levels to Flutter - let the saw warm to running temperature
before attempting to determine if high-speed settings are correct. This will
take a couple minutes or so after starting to accomplish. Then hold the saw
at wide-open throttle for a few seconds. The rpm should come up to a full
throttle position and then level off. It sounds kind of like a flutter or a
slight blubbering tone. The flutter sound must be in any two cycle high
speed run to make sure you have sufficient lubrication and fuel for the
engine. A digital tachometer can be used to check if the run is set to
design parameters suggested by the manufacturer. A tachometer will only tell
you when an engine is in adjustment - it won't however tell you when it's
out of adjustment. An engine can show within the design a maximum RPM
setting that¹s within specification but can have an air leak or other engine
problem and can still be running in a lean state. That's where the operator
must understand a two-cycle flutter and make sure the saw at top end is
fluttering. If not major damage to the engine can and most likely will take
place. The high-speed setting is done with the H screw on the carburetor.

3. Chain Stops at Idle - now bring the engine back to idle for the next
observation. We want to make sure that the engine is at idle for a couple
reasons. The first is   safety because you do not want to be walking around
with a chainsaw where the chain doesn't stop turning at idle. This also
indicates that the engine is idling low enough, if the saw chain stops, to
disengage the clutch mechanism and let the low speed fuel circuits in the
carburetor take over. When the chain turns at idle you adjust the T or LA
screw to raise or lower the RPM to disengage the clutch.

4. Idles In All Positions - now that the chain is stopped and the saw is at
idle, the saw should idle in all positions until it runs out of fuel. If the
saw is getting too much fuel at idle it will puddle up in the crankcase area
and as soon as you roll it over it will flood the port and the engine will
stall. The L screw on the carburetor adjusts this scenario. In this case you
would close the screw slightly clockwise to reduce the fuel flow.

5. Accelerates Without Hesitation - next the acceleration should be checked.
Open the throttle quickly and the RPM should come up without hesitation. If
the engine hesitates before quickly rising to wide-open throttle, the L
screw on the carburetor should be opened counter-clockwise to allow more
fuel flow. It takes fuel to create the power to rotate the engine.

You should remember that you could damage the saw engine quickly if you do
not run it properly adjusted. I hear often that supervisors and shops do not
want the operator to have access to a screwdriver, nor to adjust the screws.
They state that they don't want the saw blown-up from someone who doesn't
know how to properly adjust the screws. I agree, but I have said for years
that I think I see as many saws and trimmers blown up from lack of
adjustment as I have adjustment. If the operator doesn't know when it is out
of adjustment they just run it. You do not have to have a screwdriver
yourself however to adjust the saw. If you know when it is out of adjustment
you can simply take it to someone who does.

Think about - anytime you turn a carburetor screw to the right, clockwise,
you take a chance of causing engine damage. You remove fuel and lubrication
with a clockwise turn of the screw.

Operators should all be aware of how to check the run of any two-cycle piece
of equipment. If they are going to work safely and productively with the
machine it must be in tune...

More information on carburetor adjustment can be found in our ForestApps
eBook available from www.BarnesandNoble.com and from the eStore at
www.ForestApps.com .

Check out the articles on carburetion and fuel under the info/articles link
on the homepage.    Good Sawing...

© Copyright 2010 Forest Applications Training, Inc.