[ChainPoint] Taking a Stand...

ChainPoint Connections chainpoint at forestapps.com
Tue Aug 31 08:09:26 EDT 2010

Hey ChainPoint¹s

Read below how important it is to stand for those things important to us.
Especially as it relates to the chain saw.

Hurricane season is upon us... I hope all are prepared to weather the storm
and cleanup process. Please make sure to plan your chain saw work to not
become a storm clean up statistic.

Thank you all for your continued support of Forest Applications Training,
Inc.  We are now organizing training for the winter months of January and
February 2011. Contact Laura if you would like to check our calendar or
discuss programs. There are still a few scattered days that can possibly be
filled on our way to other training this fall so ask her about the rest of
the year too...  Laura at forestapps.com

Those of you getting high-tech book readers like Kindle¹s and iPads, our
³The Complete Guide to Chain Saw Safety and Directional Felling² is
available from www.BarnesandNoble.com and from our eStore. Links are
available from the main page at www.forestapps.com

We have moved several 7/32 Chain Sharps but still have a few more. I am
going to continue the special for Sept... If you order a 7/32 PFERD Chain
Sharp I will include a free ForestApps eVideo DVD with the order.  Check out
the other great products from our endorsed product associates at the
ForestApps eStore. http://www.forestapps.com/e-book/eStore.htm

Thanks for all your comments on the last two articles. It is nice to know
people read them and they are important to you. Hope Taking a Stand below is
going to be a favorite. Share it with your friends and invite them to
subscribe to ChainPoint.

Good Sawing,
Tim Ard
Forest Applications Training, Inc.

O 770.222.2511

http://www.forestapps.com

Taking a Stand
By Tim Ard, Forest Applications Training Inc.

It is always very hard to do- to stand up for something we believe in. Well,
your safety when working with a chain saw depends on a very firm stand. Your
stand - and you had better believe it! When you pick up a chain saw you are
wielding a very powerful tool. Its rotating, sharp cutting attachment is
capable of slicing and dicing just about any material it comes in contact
with, especially operator's parts. So when you pick one up- you must take a
stand, one you are certain is solid and stable. Take note of the
following...

Don't Over Extend- The fatigue process begins immediately when you pick up a
chain saw. The saw's weight alone seems to multiply when you hold it in a
correct position. When you extend the weight outward or upward, the weight
tends to multiply as muscle fatigue begins. It doesn't take long, so make
sure your stance is strong and correct from the first chip.

Understand Your Opponent- The reactive forces of Push Back, Pull In and Kick
Back are common on all sizes of chain saws. Know these forces and their
locations on your saw. Your operator¹s manual should be your first source of
information regarding these forces and proper maintenance of your chain saw
equipment.

Defensive Approach- When you begin to make a cut with a chain saw you must
remember the reactive forces and their ability to knock you off your stand.
Realize your responsibility is to combat the reactions of these opponents.
For example, when the saw pushes back; your stand must maintain balance and
control.

Secure Your Stand- Before you depress the throttle and rev the chain saw for
a cut, make sure your stance is considering the reactive forces and ready
for action. Both feet should be positioned to complete the work. You
shouldn't move your position unless the saw chain is at idle or in some
situations, the bar and idling chain are on an opposite side of the log from
you. Trips and falls can cause cuts and bruises, so limiting movement
removes some potential for injury.

Plan Your Stand- Remember that often times the material you are cutting can
be under pressure. The severed piece can roll, flip up or down, or even
rapidly shoot back toward you when you cut through it. Because of this
potential for attack, step back if necessary, make a thorough plan,
understanding what could happen before you cut. Proceeding too quickly or
without a complete plan can result in an unplanned event- an accident.

Parking in Place- Just as in parking a car or truck, you can apply your
saw's chain brake to make sure the chain doesn't roll unless you are in
control. When starting the saw and also when moving more than a step or two,
lock the chain brake.

Wear Protective Equipment- It is sometimes warm and uncomfortable but it is
so important to wear a Hardhat, Safety Glasses, Face Screen, Gloves, Saw
Chaps or Pants, and make sure you have good heavy duty Boots. Boots with
good traction soles, shank and ankle support should be part of your
selection process. Some occupations require boots with chain saw resistance
built into them. Waterproof design is also an asset for many tasks. Anyway
you want to look at it, PPE is important. Boots are especially important to
your stance.

For more information questions can be emailed to info at ForestApps.com Visit
www.ForestApps.com for articles and information on topics of chain saw
safety, applications and operations.

© Copyright 2010 Forest Applications Training, Inc.