[ChainPoint] Raker's...

ChainPoint Connections chainpoint at forestapps.com
Thu Feb 18 11:48:13 EST 2010

Hi Everyone!

Just a note on a couple things.

The first video session went great this week at the Rugged Quarter of Bill
and Juli Fyfe near Trussville, AL. The weather cooperated and we completed
the introduction and the initial on the RDT program.  Rob Lagerstrom is an
amazing director/producer. The first eVideo DVD's we promised should be
ready to go by Mid-March thanks to TruSouth Oil for handling the mailing.
Not only good products but also great people make a project come together.

On a sad note, the industry lost one of the Best. A friend and business
connection over the years.

Bob Buzzard passed away last Saturday the 13th. Bob, and before him his
father, were pioneers dedicated in getting Stihl chain saws into operators
hands in the south and owned SC Stihl. Bob was always a strong promoter of
PPE development, training and was a safety products manager at Husqvarna. He
was working currently with Woods Manufacturing. He will be missed. His
funeral is today in SC. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and
friends!

Check out the article below on Raker's..

Good Sawing,

Tim Ard

Forest Applications Training, Inc.

Phone: 770.222.2511

http://www.forestapps.com

We have an eStore for items  discussed in our programs... eStore
<http://www.forestapps.com/e-book/eStore.htm>

cid:image002.png at 01CAADC6.42F36E20

Raker's

By Tim Ard

Ah, those little guys on the front of the saw chain tooth. With only a
little swipe of the file, I can make this chain saw really cut!

Some call them Rakers, some call them Drags, others, like I do, refer to
them as Depth Gauges. Whatever you technically want to call them. Some
people abuse them, some confuse them, and some just don't realize how they
work and what they do for you.

I often hear, "they are to be left alone". "Don't mess with them." Others
say to, "take them down first thing on a new chain." Most common exchange of
thought is, "you really don't have to do anything with them. They will wear
down as you use the chain."

In answer, first I would recommend. if you don't understand them leave them
alone but, take them and the rest of the chain, to a professional shop for
sharpening and depth gauge settings.

You have to adjust them. Look at the chain tooth. The top plate area, as you
file it back, goes downward toward the end of the top plate. As you file the
cutting surface of the tooth back, the depth gauge will grow. Maybe not
grow, but stick up past the tooth point. The results, you will either have
to set them properly or you will have to apply so much pressure to the saw
to get it to cut, it will be dangerous for the saw, saw chain, guide bar and
You.

Taking the depth gauges down on a new chain or at any point of the chain
life, below manufacturer's specs is not a good idea. Check the
specifications on your saw chain and make sure you use proper tools to
maintain the settings as close as possible. With hand tools it's hard to
keep everything perfect, but dropping them too much below design can mean a
lot of grabbing, chatter and possibly loss of control.

Well, finally the last statement is somewhat true. They will possibly wear
down a little on their own in abrasive conditions. Nevertheless, under
normal cutting of wood, not rocks, etc., the hardened surface of the depth
gauge is not likely to wear very much. At least not wear to the tune of an
exact thousands of an inch.

Proper Depth Gauge checks and adjustments during the filing/sharpening
process are as important as having two-cycle oil in your fuel mix. You can
cause a lot of damage taking them for granted.

PFERD Chain Sharps still on sale at our eStore. And this weekend only.
download the eBook for $9.99!   eStore
<http://www.forestapps.com/e-book/eStore.htm>