[ChainPoint] Notching to Lean

ChainPoint Connections chainpoint at forestapps.com
Tue Jul 20 08:11:13 EDT 2010

Hi ChainPoint¹s

Is it hot or what? Hopefully not too hot where you are... Lots of tree work
going on nationwide because of the heat spawned thunder storms. Lightning
and wind damage to trees seems to be prevalent this summer.

The article this week is on Notching to Leans. I hear this statement often
so take a few minutes and read through the article. Some food for thought.
Read below or on the website...

The Elvex Tectra helmet is now available from your local Elvex Dealer or our
eStore:

Elvex Tectratm Helmet Update
By Tim Ard, Forest Applications Training, Inc.
Since the first of the year I have been wearing the new Tectratm hardhat
system from Elvex. One I have in stock arrangement and a second set up with
electronic controlled hearing protection. I am pleased to let you know that
these helmets are very comfortable, fit to adjustments well, and are holding
up well under all my use and transport around the country. You can read my
first impressions and a picture and video on my article -
http://www.forestapps.com/articles/tectra.html

Preparing you or your organization for storm cleanup? You can download the
ForestApps eBook from our site or even from the Barnes and Noble eBook site.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Complete-Guide-to-Chain-Saw-Safety-and-
Directional-Felling/Tim-Ard/e/9780615319230/?itm=1&USRI=Tim+ard

We are planning another Train the Trainer for the west coast in the next
couple months. If you or your organization have interest in attending
contact me at info at forestapps.com .

If you are having problems with saws and trimmers running correctly in the
hot temps - order a case of 50Fuel or 40Fuel from the eStore or your local
outlet. I have found it to solve a lot of heat issues in two cycles in my
recent travels to Hawaii and Florida. It makes a difference. Its cost is
worth the reduction in complications and frustrations.

Forest Applications is now re-certified for USFS training. Contact us to
find out more if you are seeking saw training for USFS compliance.

Now until August 1st ­ Order a PFERD ChainSharp or a case of 50Fuel/40Fuel
from our eStore and I will include a ForestApps eVideo DVD at no charge. A
$20 value FREE!
http://www.forestapps.com/e-book/eStore.htm

If you have questions or article ideas please forward them to
info at forestapps.com

Good Sawing,
Tim Ard
Forest Applications Training, Inc.

O 770.222.2511

http://www.forestapps.com

See You on the Road...

Notching to Lean...
By Tim Ard, Forest Applications Training, Inc.

So many people think the notch determines the direction and lean of the tree
when falling / cutting a standing tree. I constantly hear statements to the
effect that if you make a notch deeper into the tree you will be able to
make the tree go or lean in the direction you want it.

I think a lot of that thought process comes from the days of logging the big
trees. If you have a tree that leans back five feet and you cut the face
notch in to a depth of six feet then the tree will go in the notched
direction. The farther you cut the notch in, the easier it is to tilt the
tree in the desired direction. In that case, if it worked, the tree was
probably fifteen feet in diameter. If you take a four foot tree that leans
back three feet and you cut in four feet - you will have a tree going the
wrong direction.  You just cut it off the stump. If you notch in farther
than the weighted center of the tree,  and don't leave enough material to
support the tree's weight, then the tree will unmistakably fall wrong in the
weighted direction. It can be confusing... I agree.

Let's go back to the plan and basics to see what really happens. The lean of
the tree is not formed as much from the trunk's angle as it is from the
total shape of the crown or the tree canopy. To begin to check lean you must
place yourself in the position, or in line looking into the position you
wish the tree to end up on the ground. Now start the process to measure the
side lean. Standing at the exact place you want the tree, take a look at the
farthest limbs of the tree canopy to the right, now to the farthest left.
Take note of a visual point in the middle of that measurement or the center
between the two points. Now draw a plumb line down from that center of the
canopy to the base of the tree- at or near its stump. If the plumb line
falls to the right of the trunk center, the tree leans right- if to the left
of center, it leans left. It's simple but a very important calculation.  Now
for the second lean...

Parallel to the hinge, ninety degrees to the lay or target, take the lean
info as before with the side lean. Point to the farthest left and right
sides of the canopy (checking forward to or back from the target). Note the
center of the two and plumb the line to the base of the tree. If the plumb
line falls in front of the hinge the tree leans forward, if behind the
hinge, it leans back.

The back lean or forward lean of the tree must be determined from a position
ninety degrees to the target or lay position you want the tree to reside
when down. The hinge material just behind the notch will hold during the
fall like a door hinge. Consider the hinge as the pivot or fulcrum. The
hinge is the balance point of  the tree. This hinge is the determining
factor in weight position regarding back or forward lean.

If the weight line falls behind the hinge, the tree will not fall in the
notched direction on its own. You will need to use a wedge, rope or some
other mechanical advantage to move the weight center forward of the hinge to
place the tree in the desired direction. It may mean that your plan requires
taking the tree down from the top or removing crown weight in some fashion.

Trying to swing or pivot a tree on the stump is not a reliable technique in
any situation, especially not in select cut forests where canopies may
intertwine or residential areas with obstacles close by. Removing the hinge
to pivot the tree is very dangerous as it places the operator in a more
risky position as the tree moves. Limbs or debris may fall in the work area
causing struck by injuries or fatalities. When a tree begins to move you
should immediately seek your planned escape position 45 degrees away from
the fall direction and as far from the stump as possible.

Wind conditions, vines, intertwined or grown together limbs can all effect a
trees fall. They don't change the weight and lean but they do offer
resistance to the fall and can cause unpredictable falling hazards. We
suggest you enroll in a hands on instruction workshop to better understand
leans and control of the tree if this is confusing to you. It is difficult
to explain in words, it is much more absorbable in picture or hands on demo
form. Workshops are available - contact info at forestapps.com     Visit our
website at www.ForestApps.com for other information.

(c) Copyright 2010 Forest Applications Training, Inc.