[ChainPoint] Two Specs....

ChainPoint Connections chainpoint at forestapps.com
Mon Mar 1 10:55:39 EST 2010

cid:image002.png at 01CAADC6.42F36E20

Hi Everyone!

A new month and Spring is in the air!  The clean-up and yard work begins as
soon as weather warms. I can't wait!

The ChainPoint ProLink for March is posted - check it out
http://www.forestapps.com/chainpoint/chainpointhome.html

The March Special is posted at the eStore also.. Time to try a case of
50Fuel.

There is one slot open in the Train the Trainer Workshop March 22-26th .
However the Monday 22nd  Demo Workshop is wide open. If you have a Church
group, business, friends or just anyone who may want more chain saw
knowledge that  would like to visit Trussville for the 22nd workshop have
them register. Cost is $50 and includes a T-Shirt and Lunch. Groups may
contact me for discounted rates. Register online at our website..

The Trussville/Leeds, AL area has the Bass Pro Mega Store and Barber's
Motorcycle and Motorsports Museum. Let alone the beauty of the Rugged
Quarter. Hotel's, restaurant's are plentiful and reasonable.

The first day workshop is important to the training element for the
participants in the rest of the week activities. Come on out, participate
and enjoy!

Take a minute and invite your friends to go to our website and subscribe to
ChainPoint so they can be connected to this elite group! Thank You!

Please read the article below on Two Specs. It's an important one as we
begin the Spring work around the job and home.

Good Sawing,

Tim Ard

Forest Applications Training, Inc.

Phone: 770.222.2511

http://www.forestapps.com

We have an eStore for items  discussed in our programs... eStore
<http://www.forestapps.com/e-book/eStore.htm>

Two Specs

By Tim Ard,  Forest Applications Training, Inc.

Or maybe the title should be bi-focal? When you are operating a chain saw
you should not hesitate to have your eyes covered with safety glasses. It is
even a good idea to add a face screen when you are working debris on the
ground. 1

For sure your eyes are a valuable commodity that you do not want to be
without. You wouldn't run a chain saw in total darkness would you? Why would
you plan to do that very thing by not considering safety glasses anytime
there is potential for eye injury? One unexpected, unplanned event
(accident) and you possibly won't run the saw in daylight again. It will
definitely slow down saw operations for all time.

When operating a saw, trimmer, clearing saw or just performing maintenance
or sharpening -safety glasses must be worn. The potential for eye injury is
present at all times when undertaking these tasks. I just started a small
engine in the yard one day and a piece of rust from the exhaust muffler blew
upwards into my eye. It had enough force to pierce the edge of my eye and
the doctor had to remove it with what seemed to be a magnetic drill bit.
Yes, if it sounds gross to you-- I can tell you it's not a pretty sight when
it's headed toward your eyeball either. I never knew how closely related
your eye is to your stomach as nausea set in quickly.

Often in training classes I hear comments of, "I can't see clearly through
safety glasses, they seem distorted."  The minute I start to work, "they fog
up."  "I have to wear prescription glasses and I can't afford $350 safety
lenses and side shields." These are all valid reasons safety glasses are
often left on the truck seats and shop tables but it doesn't answer the need
for them to reduce the chances of eye injury. Today there are technologies
that make the excuses disappear.

Distortion

Safety glasses today from companies such as Elvex
<http://www.elvex.com/safety-glasses-start.htm> , who have improved the
manufacturer of hard polycarbonate coated lenses, are completely distortion
free affordable lenses. These safety lenses can be clear, indoor/outdoor,
yellow, grey and dark tints that all block dangerous UV's and protect your
eyes from HFO's (harmful flying objects).

Fogging

Safety glasses now have coated lenses that have scratch and fog resistance.
There are also cleaners with anti-fog properties that can help prevent
collection of facial oils and moisture that immediately make fogging a
problem. On the web one product called C-Clear is getting high reviews.

Bi-focal Optics

Since the time I turned forty-two (thirteen plus years ago now) I have been
wearing two sets of eyes. I tried to make it through with just regular
safety glasses but no way to see anything up close. Contact lenses are just
not for me either, especially with all the dust I am around. So, I tried a
couple safety glasses with bi-focal inserts and also the plastic film
inserts on the market for about a year. They just didn't offer a solution,
too much distortion and I always seemed to get a headache. I decided to
spring for a pair of prescription safety glasses and sprung I did to the
tune of about $240. I really used them too long, about three regular
eyeglass prescription upgrades and then last year I paid $380 for a new
pair.

In January I received a pair of Elvex RX 400's in 2.0 magnification
bi-optics. The soft ear pieces sealed great under the ear muffs and the
lenses are so clear. I wore them for less than a day to find the bi-focal
optics worked great whether walking in the woods, sawing or sharpening. The
cost a fraction too. Safety glasses with bi-optics are available with
magnifiers ranging from 1.0 to 3.0 to accommodate most reading and work
environments.

So, the excuses are reduced to a minimum by the aforementioned paragraphs.
The need for safety glasses is indisputable when tackling power equipment
operations. You can now find products available that will work for you. Try
it please-- do so for more than a couple days, give them an honest try
before abandoning them and remember for many occupations it's the law.  Your
Two Specs are worth the time, effort and money expended to protect and keep
them!

If you have any questions about the items mentioned in this article please
send them to info at forestapps.com. Links can be found to explore on our
website and eStore at www.forestapps.com.

1 In the workplace these items are part of the PPE requirements of a chain
saw operator under OSHA 1910.266. Make sure you are in compliance for two
reasons- your safety and it is the law.

cid:image004.png at 01CAB92D.6EFF1C40

Elvex RX- 400   Bi-Focal