[ChainPoint] Carburetors...

ChainPoint Connections chainpoint at forestapps.com
Tue May 11 12:13:16 EDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

Had a great tour of New England training the past few weeks. We appreciate
MIIA and Bay State Roads for making it all possible.

Saturday we completed some more work on the eVideo modules of Storm Cleanup
and the Reduced Down Time system. I think the video shots are done, just
have to wait now on the artistic talents of Rob Lagerstrom to cut and
paste... They are going to be Awesome.

The eStore is somewhat limited until we return from the Hawaii DOT training.
Some of the items can still be ordered but  shipping will not take place
until June 23rd. Just a few items.... So please take a look. Go to eStore
link on our main page.

Some great news from the technical side below...

Hope all of you have a Great Week.

ForestApps Calendar -
http://cid-ef58589719f55251.calendar.live.com/calendar/ForestApps+Calendar/i
ndex.html

Good Sawing,
Tim Ard
Forest Applications Training, Inc.

O 770.222.2511

http://www.forestapps.com

@ForestApps on Twitter

Auto TuneŠ.

By Tim Ard, Forest Applications Training, Inc.

Manufacturers have been talking about it for a while but it might be just in
time to help curb some (not all) of the fuel issues with ethanol base
gasoline. Husqvarna has introduced a new version of the 576xp saw with a new
Auto Tune carburetor. It¹s not really a fuel injection system but it is a
smart carburetor that¹s a very close twin. No manual adjustments, the
carburetor makes automatic adjustments of the fuel and air ration going into
the engine with an electronic control system. It also compensates for air
filter obstruction to help minimize rich runs and loss of power.
This Auto Tune system should help some with the issues around ethanol fuel
supplies. Ethanol added fuels have a larger molecule to transport and also
attracts moisture (water) at the molecule so it in effect requires a larger
hole (carburetor jetting) to offer enough fuel to maintain power and RPM
control of your saw. Some carburetors today do not have sufficient
adjustment capabilities to handle the larger ethanol fuel structure.
Take for example if you have a saw adjusted to spec, at less say 13,000 rpm.
The engine is running great and you have plenty of lubrication taking place
because you have a proper oil to gas mix ratio adjusting in. It¹s all goodŠ.
Now you buy fresh gas at a local station and mix in your oil to
requirements. The new fuel you purchased however has 10% or more ethanol in
its formulation. If you do not change the carburetor adjustments of air and
fuel entering your engine you have most likely leaned out the run of the saw
because of the added fuel flow requirement of the ethanol, which you are not
getting, and also your lubrication is minimized because of this fuel
restriction. Leaning the lubrication and over speeding the design. Not
goodŠ.

The Auto Tune carburetor will now step in to do its job. It allows more fuel
in to properly mix with the air through the filter and voila ­ proper
running engine. The only thing to consider now with the ethanol fuel is the
water accumulation and the deteriorating effects on your saws rubber and
internal parts. Which these effects are somewhat minimal to the seizure
costs.
I hope we see many more of these techno changes in the near future and even
some upgrade carburetors available for existing equipment ­ that would be
nice. This would correct a great deal of the run problems showing up in the
field. Until then ­ seek out a source for TruFuel or a gas without ethanol
to do your mixingŠ or I recon you could just buy a new Husqvarna 576xp.

Good Sawing,

Tim Ard
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/chainsaws/576-xp-w-autotune/