[ChainPoint] Species Dependent...

ChainPoint Connections chainpoint at forestapps.com
Sat May 15 14:15:05 EDT 2010

Hello Chain Point's....

I hope you have had a great week? It has been tiring, mostly from the time
change, here in Hilo. The group was great this week and we start another
Monday morning. I thought through a common question I often hear in
training. What about this Species of Tree?  Read the article below....
Species.

* The training workshop in Susanville, California is beginning to fill.
Check out the link for the information on the program and location on the
website  www.ForestApps.com it will make you decide to cut loose and come on
out. The site is an active logging site and we will be able to discuss
wedging and many other situations in detail. You don¹t want to miss this
class...  Get your reservation completed soon!
http://www.forestapps.com/training/California2010.html

* I have the eStore marked with the items on hold until June 23rd. The rest
of the PPE etc can be ordered for immediate shipment and processing through
the linked manufacturers. If you need something send me a message with any
questions info at forestapps.com .

* If you are a larger tree service or logging company you may want to look
into Sharp Point. A commercial sharpening service for all types of saw
chain. The machines are computerized ­ no burning or damage to your chains.
They pick up and ship out nationwide and has some amazing results they can
tell you about with current participating programs. Contact
dperkinsbizresults at gmail.com.

Good Sawing,
Tim Ard
Forest Applications Training, Inc.

O 770.222.2511

http://www.forestapps.com

Species...

By Tim Ard, Forest Applications Training, Inc.

Just about everywhere I go in our training travels I am asked about how a
certain tree reacts to the techniques we teach. Hickory is hard, Ash will
split with you, Pine won't hold like a Poplar tree... I hear these stated
issues about every training session. I agree... Sometimes.

We tend to look to a specific scenario or example to set our thoughts for
the future. That's called experience isn't it. Something that happened in
our past has reflected heavy on every decision we make today or tomorrow. I
agree with that too...but! Can a 600 lb. Bear climb a 3 in. Pole? That is
the question I ask when people ask me my opinion about a tree situation they
want to have an answer for. They are planning an experience on a past
accomplishment. You see, I can't answer their tree question without first
asking the bear question. Until you know how good a climber the bear is and
how strong that particular pole is, you really can¹t say whether it can or
could be accomplished. The secret.... Is in the plan.

Recently in a class in Hawaii, on the big island near Hilo, I was
instructing a class in what I think to be Acacia Trees. I am not quite sure
because no one in the class was sure either but looking it up on the web
that's what it appeared to be. The wood is very light weight and I was
amazed at how strong the fiber in these trees turned out to be.

I had one tree in particular I would like to brag a bit about. It was about
75 ft tall and about 18 in. In diameter with close to a 16 ft side lean away
from the tagged area we (they) wanted it placed. There was nothing in the
way of value so I agreed to put together a plan and try it.

We completed the plan with hazards, side and back lean, escape route, hinge
size and came up with a back cut to hopefully produce the results we were
after.

The tree had to miss a tree top it was towering over (wish I had pictures),
15ft of side lean and 6ft of forward lean, I had a good escape, planned to
leave a 1.5 in hinge and had to cut the bad side of the tree first (somewhat
blind) then cut to establish the uphill side finishing the hinge. The tree
went perfect! Did I say PERFECT!

I am always impressed with what an even straight hinge can do for you in
control and safety in felling trees. If you line everything up correctly,
according to your information and plan, you stand a very high probability of
getting results no matter what the species of tree.

I have found it not to be the species as much as it is the specific tree.
Every tree is different folks, even if they are the same identical species
in a given regional location. An Oak tree with good fiber and one with
decaying fiber react differently and often call for a different plan.

You must put together a plan to get positive results and to learn from the
event.  Thorough planning is the way to not have an ACCIDENT - an unplanned
event.

Read more of Tim Ard¹s articles on Chainsaw Things at www.ForestApps.com
<http://www.ForestApps.com>