[ChainPoint] Collect Prepare, Promote

ChainPoint Connections chainpoint at forestapps.com
Sun Nov 7 15:40:21 EST 2010

Hi ChainPoint¹s

We are winding down our long Fall tour. The last session on this round is
with the Coast Guard in the morning at Chesapeake, VA. Then we head home
after 7 weeks on the road. This tour will have added 7300 some odd miles on
the Bus. We still have two more training sessions ­ Marion, VA and Gilroy,
CA before the holiday break. It¹s been an awesome time in FL, IL, CO, PA, MA
and VA. Four Hundred and ninety-five participants as of this writing and we
will be over five hundred by the time we head home tomorrow. We are so
thankful to be part of your big training picture... We are blessed!

I hope you enjoy the article below on a training/safety culture for you and
your organization. Let me know your thoughts on it- send me a short message.
Also, if you have had any problems in reading some of the past articles on
the emailing for some reason, most are available for you on the website
under Articles/Info and or the ForestApps blog site.

The eStore is back open and we will be processing orders by Wednesday this
week. Should have everything caught up and on the way to you by the end of
the week. Thank you for your orders and your patience during our stint away
from the office on this training tour.

Its fast approaching the end of the year and I know many of you have funds
to spend for safety items etc by the end of December. If so, I ask you to
take the time and look over our endorsed products companies and our eStore
to see if there are any new or needed items they can help you with.

More and more of you are getting involved with the social network sites of
Twitter and Face Book. If you are not ­ you are missing out on a very
inexpensive and  simple way to keep track of our training and our updates.
It¹s amazing how many companies and people are using it and it is so nice to
have the latest info you want coming to you. Check out our Face Book Fan
Page and on Twitter @ForestApps . Blog ­ www.forestapps.blogspot.com

While in Massachusetts we were able to connect with the gang over at This
Old House Productions to film a short segment on chainsaw safety with Roger
Cook for release in Jan or Feb 2011. We will keep you informed as to the
exact dates...
http://www.forestapps.com/articles/article%20images/TOH2011.htm

Have a Great Week!

Good Sawing,
Tim Ard
Forest Applications Training, Inc.

O 770.222.2511

http://www.forestapps.com

Collect, Prepare, Promote
By Tim Ard, Forest Applications Training, Inc.

I am so fortunate to be part of an occupation and the operations of
collecting, preparing and promoting information that eventually makes
someone¹s life easier, more efficient, profitable and hopefully safer. In
whatever you endure and pursue in life the most gratifying is when you are
afforded the opportunity to hear of and see positive results of your
efforts. For someone¹s life and wellbeing to be transformed by your actions
and knowledge.

Years now I have been making an annual, sometimes bi-annual, trip to New
England to hold workshops. From a training standpoint it has evolved from
basic chain saw safety demonstrations, to having several three-day totally
committed programs. Organizers are always striving to have large numbers of
attendees at the demonstrations and to fill the specific programs. We by
design know chain saw safety demonstrations were, and still are today, to
excite attendees to continue forward. Continue forward with what training is
all about - hands on events, then followed by practice and application. This
makes training worth the time, cost and effort. The organizers in New
England have done an awesome job with building an amazing training culture.
People seem to love training in New England.

The training process related to any chainsaw application or operation
doesn¹t however end with the last day of a workshop or program. The process
must continue in practice, updates and a continued search by the organizers
and participants to stay aware, strengthening their safety culture -
collecting, preparing and promoting.

Collect- Training in chainsaw applications and safety is a collection of
processes. The process of collecting and understanding what you need in
equipment, technique and application to make it all work with and for the
person that picks up a chain saw.

Prepare ­ Training should prepare the chain saw user for the future task or
operation. It must provoke them to think and plan, excite them to find out
more and to use what they learn. It should prepare and provide them with a
basis to build upon.

Promote ­ Training must promote a work habit, one that is used, spreads and
grows from the inception. If it¹s not fluid, if its not alive, the training
will not evolve into a culture. Great training will and should be magically
promoted by attendees to other work partners, crew, company and or
organization.

Where to begin?
Well back to the chain saw safety demonstration. If it is to work
successfully, training must excite an attendee to seek more. The first step
of training according to most manufacturers and even OSHA is the operator¹s
manual. This is the written handbook or guide that accompanies the product.
This product instruction manual usually covers basic switches, function
basics, maintenance outlines and most likely any concerns involving generic
safety of the item or product. All of you are very familiar with this
information right? That¹s the same with the second step and the reason for
the large demonstration. It¹s the second step in the process. It covers some
basics in demonstration.

At 2am in the morning, with your headlights on a tree across the road, most
likely you are not going to pull the owners manual out of your back pocket
to review. It¹s the reason to continue on with your training advancement to
pick up processes or techniques to handle a different task easier.

That¹s why it must be a culture likeŠ. Collect, Prepare and Promote.

I present the reason for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), how the
products work, the design and why it¹s needed. I¹ve done this in every
demonstration I have made for years. The attendees are asked if they have
chainsaw leg protection available and use it? If they do have it, over 70%
don¹t raise their hand that they use it every time they operate a chainsaw.

What about the other stuff- Hardhats, safety glasses, hearing protection?

It¹s not a culture until it exists and is habit! More Collect, Prepare and
Promote is necessary. Our ForestApps training can help you successfully
change these issues.

Find out more on training and chainsaw related applications and safety at
www.ForestApps.com <http://www.ForestApps.com>   Contact-
info at ForestApps.com or 770.222.2511

Twitter- @ForestApps     Face Book-  Forest Applications Training, Inc.

© Copyright 2010 Forest Applications Training, Inc.