[ChainPoint] The Safety Stick

ChainPoint Connections chainpoint at forestapps.com
Sat Sep 11 12:03:14 EDT 2010

Hi ChainPoint¹s

A great tool and technique discussed below... The Safety Stick...

If you are a book reader check out Joseph Bonsall¹s new writings. ³From My
Perspective² is available from most book outlets. It just came out Sept 1st
and is an awesome read.

While you are ordering don¹t forget to get your copy of the Forest
Applications Training, Inc. eBook. Links to order are on our website
homepage.

If you are new to ChainPoint,  there are many articles from the past on the
website under the Articles/Info link.

In closing, please remember those effected by the 911 attack and those
overseas continuing to make it possible for us to still live in freedom.

This coming week we¹re are in South Carolina with storm training for Greer,
SC and the following week working with the National Guard in Starke, FL.  A
privilege to be part of training our troops.

Good Sawing,
Tim Ard
Forest Applications Training, Inc.

O 770.222.2511

http://www.forestapps.com

The SAFETY StickŠ
By Tim Ard, Forest Applications Training, Inc.

When I discuss training for storm cleanup with towns and others operating
chain saws; I always discuss the hazards of helping too much. I have heard
several stories over the years of swamper¹s, spotter¹s and various
crewmembers that were accidently injured by a chain saw.

One story was after hurricane Opal several years ago. A saw operator turned
around and a coworker was standing close behind them. The coworker was cut
across the midsection with the chain saw. An unplanned eventŠ

Another story was about a chipper operator working on a roadside with a saw
operator. The sawyer became bound in a small tree, attempting to cut it down
after a storm had leaned it over. The sawyer recruited the chipper operator
to push as he removed the saw from the bind. Why he kept the saw running I
will never figure out, but the assisting chipper operator was cut on the leg
while helping. An unplanned eventŠ

Still another story, a coworker trying to assist a chain saw operator,
clearing a downed tree on a road after a storm, was only trying to speed up
the process and was pulling limbs as the sawyer severed them. He pulled, as
the limb was being cut, causing a reactive force or either he simply pulled
the saw with the limb into the leg of the chain saw operator. An unplanned
eventŠ

Reading recently a message from the USFS, they have had incidents where
sawyers and swamper¹s are working too close together and causing unplanned
events.

What¹s the answer to this continuously hazardous situation? SPACE! Slow down
and give space for reaction time.

Let¹s look at some very important math. If a six-foot person is holding a
chain saw with only a two-foot guide bar and they, for some reason fall,
what is the potential (minimum) reach (radius) of a danger zone for a
crewmember or bystander? Person (6¹ + 2¹ min. arm length addition) + Saw (2¹
bar + 1¹ power head) = Minimum Danger Zone (11¹). You can probably get more
scientific than my simple equation, and possibly a lot more imaginative, but
you can see the potential. So why do people want to be so close to an
operator and a chain saw. They simply don¹t understand the MATH.

Let the sawyer make the necessary cuts and when they are ready they will
call you in to make the move on the brush and limbs. The sawyer must be in
charge- take charge, of the work area. However the assistant, whatever you
call them, must understand the math and get back from the work. Some have
told me, in a wild fire situation or in a road is closed scenario, they
don¹t have time to stand back and wait. The situation calls for a lot of
hurry upŠ  Folk¹s there is nothing that will slow down a hurry up project
more than someone getting cut, hurt or killed in the process. An unplanned
eventŠ takes away time.

I don¹t know if you are aware of this tool and technique. I learned it the
first time from a crew harvesting Christmas Trees in North Carolina. It was
brought to my attention again a couple years ago from a company in New York
that does seismic right of way work all across North America. It is an
amazing tool for gaining distance from a sawyer¹s chainsaw and it is an
amazing tool for moving and windrowing brush and small limbs. The fabulous
miracle tool I am speaking of ­ A stick.

Find yourself a sapling or a limb section, approximately six feet long. You
may find a little longer or shorter fit¹s you better. This tool can be
easily customized. The large end should have a diameter of about two inches
so it fits your two handed grip well. The small end should have a fork at
the end, about a three-quarter inch diameter- see sketch. You can use this
to comfortably stand and rake limbs back or pitch them forward to the side.
You will see how amazingly this can move and spread brush with just a little
practice.

In summary - The Stick gives you distance from the saw. Can be used to hold
brush for the sawyer to cut. It can windrow and spread limb and brush
debris. The best thing is ­ ITS FREE!   Unless you just want to for some
reason mail a check to the one that turned you on to itŠ.

Remember to always wear PPE! Head, eye, face, ear, gloves, leg protection
and boots when working with or around chain saws.

More information for chain saw operators can be found at the Forest
Applications Training, Inc. website www.forestapps.com
<http://www.forestapps.com>

© Copyright 2010 Forest Applications Training, Inc.