[ChainPoint] Above the Notch...

ChainPoint Connections chainpoint at forestapps.com
Tue Aug 2 07:20:33 EDT 2011

Hello ChainPoints...

The article this edition is on the importance of understanding the potential shortfall's of  the face notch. And shortfall is the correct word for it. Read over  "Above the Notch" and see if you can follow the thought...

Next week we are heading to Kentucky for several classes. Always a pleasure working with LTAP groups up there. I think Laura has received the locations, so I will add them to the online calendar soon. You can also follow us on the SPOT link on the website www.forestapps.com .

Firewood season is upon us... a great gift for your firewood cutting friends is our Forest Applications eBook. You can purchase from our eStore or from Barnes and Noble. Links are on our homepage. www.forestapps.com .

I have had several replies on the Dawsonville, GA Three-Day Advanced Workshop for January 2012. I  will follow up with these interested attendees with more details a little closer to the Fall. The message if you didn't see it so you can place your name on the list -  We are in early planning stages to put together a three-day advanced workshop in the Dawsonville, GA area this coming winter (January). Cost will be in the $375 (plus travel and expenses) range for the workshop. If you are interested in reserving  a place let me know at info at forestapps.com

Good Sawing,

Tim Ard
timard at forestapps.com

(O) 770.222.2511

www.ForestApps.com
Twitter - @ForestApps
YouTube - ARDTIM

Above the Notch
By Tim Ard, Forest Applications Training, Inc.

A storm has damaged a tree leaving a broken limb or top dangling. You can work with the situation and have a good escape plan - If nothing shakes the tree.

A tree should have been removed a season or two ago. The top has died and is beginning to drop limbs and bark. It’s leaning in an open direction and should fall without any issues - If nothing shakes too much, especially the top.

A tree has been badly burned during a hot fire. The top is brittle and doesn't look stabile but you have a good escape route. All should go well - If the top doesn't shake and break out during the fall.

The three scenarios above are very common but few recognize how a misunderstanding of simple notching mechanics could cause disaster.

Know the Boss
The hinge is your friend. It offers support and control of the tree, trunk or limb in your planned removal process, but the notch gives the hinge the opportunity to work. It’s the boss!

Picture the three cutting scenario’s above. Consider what could happen should the notch opening close. Whether cutting from the back or bore cutting the stem or tree, when it moves into a position where the notch opening closes, the hinge has to break or snap. Now, let’s say you have a 30 degree opening in the notch, the stem moves 30 degrees before the notch closes. If the notch opening is 30, 45, 90, 120 degrees, however wide the notch opening, it allows the hinge to work. When it closes, the hinge is broken. What happens to the end of the limb or the top of the tree when this closing and snapping are going on? It sends a whipping action and excessive shake up the stem or out the limb. If the top or end is unstable, as in the three discussed scenarios, the chance of them falling or breaking out is highly probable. Who is in control of the notch and its effects on the fall? You are, if you’re the sawyer and understand it....

It is so very important to consider the notch opening as you plan the tree’s movement. Make sure the notch opening will allow the hinge to stay attached until the limb or tree reaches the ground or is at least parallel. A straight tree with a 45 degree notch only moves half way to the ground before the hinge control is lost. An Open-Face Notch of 70 to 90 degrees allows the hinge to work all the way to the ground. It reduces chances of butt rebound, splitting, barber’s chair, pulled fiber and reduces the possibility of whipping and breaking the top back toward your planned escape route. Remember too, a Dutchman (or by-pass) at the notch corner reduces the opening to almost nothing. So make sure the notch cuts meet exact.

A sufficient and correct notch maintains minimum top shaking and movement...  Above the Notch!

Tim Ard is president and lead instructor of Forest Applications Training, Inc., A training company specializing in safety and applications of the chainsaw operator.