[ChainPoint] Fiber… Hold On

ChainPoint Connections chainpoint at forestapps.com
Wed Aug 10 09:52:59 EDT 2011

Hey ChainPoints,

We have just ventured across a most beautiful part of the country from a workshop near Land Between the Lakes, KY in Murray, KY to where we  are now in Shelbyville, KY. Rolling hills, huge horse farms and green, green forests and landscapes. Awesome!

The article this week is a continuation of small articles that will be the basis for an upcoming Storm Planning Video. I am looking forward to this one, as there is a need for preparedness for chainsaw use in storm situations. A lot to be aware of when it comes to the issues encountered in cleaning up a storms mess. I hope you enjoy my thoughts on fiber. There are probably many more things I have left out of my thought process but always open to learning more....

Many thanks to Winston Rall of the USFS for sending a message last week. For bringing to light the importance of good fiber when putting together a plan.

Laura and I want to thank all the training organizers for working so hard, planning training for members, associates and employees, even during these economically challenging times. Safety and training must go on and is even more critical as tough times rage. Thank you for allowing Forest Applications Training, Inc. to take part... Our schedule is full for the Autumn Season!  Please keep us in mind for the winter months... Laura is now filling the calendar with training for Winter and Spring 2012.

We have had several inquiries and several commitments to a three day advanced workshop for January 2012. The previous message -
I have had several replies on the Dawsonville, GA (If not in Dawsonville, GA it will be in the southern region. More to follow soon) Three-Day Advanced Workshop for January 2012. I  will follow up with these interested attendees with more details a little closer to the Fall. The message if you didn't see it so you can place your name on the list -  We are in early planning stages to put together a three-day advanced workshop in the Dawsonville, GA area this coming winter (January). Cost will be in the $375 (plus travel and expenses) range for the workshop. If you are interested in reserving  a place let me know at info at forestapps.com

An eBook note - If you do not have a printed, CD or electronic version of "The Complete Guide to Chain Saw Safety and Directional Felling" you should order a copy. The links are on our website at http://www.forestapps.com . E Reader versions are available from our eStore and also from Banes and Noble.com . It's a great reference tool and addition to your saws' operators manual. A great gift for friends and relatives - order today!

Elvex Safety ( www.Elvex.com ) is sponsoring ForestApps presentations at several upcoming events this Fall. The American Public Works Association Conference in Denver, CO in September and the International Construction and Utility Equipment Expo in Louisville, KY in October. If you attend these shows come by and say hello. Check the show's presentation/workshop schedule for times, or drop by the Elvex booth.

Have a Great Week!

Good Sawing,

Tim Ard
timard at forestapps.com

(O) 770.222.2511

www.ForestApps.com
Twitter - @ForestApps
YouTube - ARDTIM

Fiber… Hold On
By Tim Ard, Forest Applications Training, Inc.

My Dad use to remind me of an old saying when it comes to finances, “It’s not how much you make, It’s how much you keep that makes one wealthy.” That analogy is fresh in my mind as the stock market continues to plummet today. Fiber and or money must have a good solid base to be strong, versatile and reach your goal.

Hinge wood is very similar to finances - It is important to plan a hinge of fiber that stays through the fall of the tree or limb, remains attached until the target goal is reached.
The hinge wood or holding wood, as it is sometimes referred to, is a strip of fiber which attaches the stump to the stem, limb or trunk as it’s falling in a removal process. It works very similar to a metal hinge placed on a door to keep it swinging perfectly to the latch. Strong, mechanical, yet flexible to accomplish the important task.

How do I know if the hinge fiber is good?
In short look! Examine the fiber as you begin your cut. Good fiber has some moisture content and is flexible to bend and consistently break from its back to its front.

In anticipation of inferior fiber you can perform several examinations.

Look at the outer surface of the tree for imperfections, loose bark, conks or other signs of decay.
Sound the tree for a solid or hollow sound when struck with your Shalaylee (correct spelling Shillelagh).
Inspect the area at the base of the tree for signs of insect dust or sap.
Observe any fire damage that may have effected fiber strength.
Check, after making your notch, for soft or rotted fiber behind the notch.
Cracks or rot in the hinge area.
Check the roots for signs of instability that may not support the hinge area.
Bore the area to examine fiber consistency.

Was it because of a certain tree?
People often ask if one tree’s fiber holds better than another. The answer is yes! However, its not as much dependent on the tree species as it is the specific tree in any given area. I find every tree is different, even if the same species. They can react differently because of the site, the weather, bugs, fire and environmental effects. So the hinge is directly effected by the material (tree) you are working with.

The back too…
Take time to observe potential fiber deficiencies over all the tree. If wedging, pushing or pulling is required, damaged or rotted fiber may not offer the support needed to safely complete the task. It may compress or even act as a pivot as you begin a cut. This could critically effect your success, so take the time, evaluate the possibilities before you begin a cut. Soft fiber, cracks or splits may not cooperate without a detailed plan for the situation.

What’s the results if I don’t?
If you make a plan, without taking good information, it’s not a plan. If you’re not focused on the material content of the hinge, it’s highly probable that it won’t be of consistency, strength and reliability to succeed. Looking for hazards and obstacles in initiating your plan is most important. However, following closely are the understanding of tree lean and proper hinge installation. If you don’t pay homage to these things you are working the wild side and destined to failure sometime soon. As they say, “ Make a plan and work the plan.” It’s the best way to keep what you make!

Know the hinge is your friend and rely on good fiber holding on to insure positive results.

This article is one of many being compiled to educate chainsaw users of the necessity of planning before attempting cleanup work following storms. Tim Ard is president of Forest Applications Training Inc., a national training company specializing in educating the chainsaw operator. For more information visit www.ForestApps.com or message info at ForestApps.com  .