[ChainPoint] Trouble in the Tank...

ChainPoint Connections chainpoint at forestapps.com
Fri Jun 29 04:44:57 CDT 2012

Hi ChainPoints

Some news in the article below that might just make things run smoother.... Trouble in the Tank.

Let us know if we can set up a Troubleshooting Workshop for your team or organization.

Contact us for info on these Berry Workshops...
Dates have been set for two Storm Sawing Workshops at Berry College. They are open enrollment and ready to be filled. We will keep these classes small to maximize the hands on time. If you or your organization are interested contact us. More info will be on the website soon but the dates are a weekend session- August 10,11,12. Then a mid week session August 21,22,23.

Come on over to Rome, GA for a unique Storm Sawing Workshop training experience.

We have a couple weeks realigned for the end of July and first of August and a week in September. If you are thinking about a chainsaw training program or zero turn mower training you may want to contact Laura at ForestApps.com while these dates are available to fill.

Good Sawing,

Tim Ard
timard at forestapps.com

(O) 770.543.9862

Mail:
PO Box 429
Rome, GA 30162

Shipping:
3361 Martha Berry Hwy
Suite 100, #143
Rome, GA 30165

www.ForestApps.com
Twitter - @ForestApps
ARDTIM - YouTube.com

Trouble in the Tank…
By Tim Ard, Forest Applications Training, Inc

It is inevitable now that ethanol fuels are here to stay. It’s a good thing for the reduction of engine emissions and to conserve our fossil fuel supply here on planet earth but, what does it mean in the tank of your small engine? How is it effecting us in the present and what will it take in the future to be able to live with the trouble it brings without a huge increase in our equipment costs? I noticed this week a solution to supply from one of the local gas stations near home.

I’ve been reading the past few months about the suppliers controversy with meeting increased ethanol percentage requirements of the government and the ability to market these higher content fuels to old and new vehicles. You've probably noticed the labeling on the pumps stating the ethanol content of up to 10% and some placards stating use only in newer year model vehicles. Now with the onset of increased ethanol content to 15%, its effect on older year model vehicles and small engines, will require even more visible and maintained labeling and instruction. The 15% ethanol fuels seem to be, or will most definitely be, detrimental to the life of some older engines and especially small engines, two cycle and four cycle. So the marketing changes begin…

The Hi-Tech (fuel station chain in our area) stations have added pumps with the three octane grades of ethanol fuel (presently at 10% but will most likely raise to 15% soon) and a separate nozzle for 90 octane straight gasoline. Now you can choose ethanol blends for your auto as in the past, but you can also pump 90 octane straight gas for use in your older engines and small engines. The pricing increases as your grades increase and the non blended 90 octane straight gas is the highest price. So you will be able to pay more but get fuel without ethanol. I assume similar pumps will open this way as the 15% plus fuels start to show up across the country. At least someone is thinking about this get it to market needed strategy for satisfying small engine and marine customer needs.

I have written other times about the use of bottled premixed fuel for two cycle’s like the TruFuel40 and TruFuel50 products and I think that for most areas of home operations and some field operations they offer needed stability for the user. The cost is very high right now for high volume users but is very cost effective for many lower volume applications. Especially true for the locales where non-ethanol fuel is not yet available.

From a training view there are several things to limit troubles if you realize what makes your chainsaw and other two cycle machines tick. We offer a unique program for chainsaw (two cycle) operators and repair personnel to better equip them with trouble shooting problems stemming from the tank. It’s simply called Two-Cycle Troubleshooting and is available in our workshop offerings. We deliver it to your location and is a hands-on light teardown and observation of the chainsaw and other mixed fuel equipment. Ever wonder if your carburetor is adjusted properly? Check it out on our website http://www.forestapps.com/requested_programs.htm Contact us for more information or to set up a workshop, info at forestapps.com .